Vonage Companion

May 5, 2010 at 5:32 PM

I just downloaded this add on today.  I also upgraded my vonage service to VonagePro so that I can use Vonage Companion.  However I think there may be some conflict between the VDialer and Vonage Companion.  It works the first time and then Vonage Companion shuts downs due to errors. Can you comment on that?

In addition when I downloaded the VDialer I did not get the "Initiate Call" tab in my toolbar and can only intitate from the contacts menu.  This does not seem to generate a journal entry. 

Thanks

May 5, 2010 at 6:07 PM

I don't have Vonage Companion (I have the World subscription), so I can't comment specifically on that - but there is no reason there should be any conflict - VDialer does not use any Vonage code or libraries - only calls a Vonage web service using standard .net libraries. I did see a forum post indicating that the Companion cannot be used with the Click-2-Call web service though - https://forums.vonage.com/showthread.php?t=2313. You can try downloading and installing the patch from the dowload page and see if that helps (it uses the Vonage Contact Center services instead). If you do, I would be interested in your findings.

The "Initiate Call" is currently only available as a context menu from the contact and as a ribbon item on the contact info - not on the main toolbar. At some point I plan to add that though. The documentation is not as complete as I would like it to be, but the screenshots should give you an indication (http://vdialer.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=UserGuide&referringTitle=Documentation).

Journal entries are disabled by default (many people don't care about journals), you can enable it from the options dialog. If you press the "Journal Options" button, you can customize further.

I am always interested in feedback (there hasn't been much so far), so if there is something you like/dislike or something that doesn't work - let me know.

May 5, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Thanks for getting back to me.  I have been looking for a program like this for sometime. I am also using the Outlook Business Contact Manager and it has a Phone Log with timer.  This is very helpful for refering back to a previous call.  Does VDialer have any issues with the Outlook Business Contact Manager?

I removed Click 2 call feature after using it once and did not find it of any benefit.   What I want is to be able dial from Outlook, through my computer and maintain a phone log and call timer with just one click...

May 5, 2010 at 7:05 PM

I haven't used the business contact manager, but as soon as I have time I'll give it a try (can't promise any date, since I have to do this on my spare time).

Just to clarify: I was talking about the click-2-call service - not the application (i.e. the web service VDialer interfaces with, also known as "Vonage Third Party Call Control" - see https://secure.click2callu.com/) - the patch on the download page will use the "Vonage Contact Center" services instead. It was a temporary fix for a time when the click-2-call service was down, but it may work with the Vonage Companion. If it doesn't then unfortunately there is nothing I can do about it. These are the only two ways to interface with Vonage (at least that I know of).

Also, the journal does not have a call timer - it simply record that a call was made. The services VDialer depends on does not return any such information. I would love to include that, but I am somewhat restricted by what the service allows. I do plan to download and sync those entries with the call log - but the services available to do so requires som reverse engineering, and I haven't had the time to do it yet.

BTW: The Vonage Contact Center can be found here: https://cc.vonage.com/

May 5, 2010 at 7:17 PM

I have tried downloading the patch but did not get very far. I am not that swift.  A DOS window popped up that said "enter any key" so I hit a key and it dissapeared and that was it. 

May 5, 2010 at 7:30 PM

The patch is a zip file that consist of a command script to install the patch and the patch itself. You will need to download the file, extract the content and then run the file name "install_3361.cmd". You should see some messages on your screen if successful (or an error if not). It can also be installed manually, instructions are on the download page:

"To install the patch, download the zip file, unzip to a temporary directory and run the install_3361.cmd command script. You can also install manually copying the file Ksamuelsen.Services.Vonage.dll.3316 to the VDialer directory and then rename the file to Ksamuelsen.Services.Vonage.dll (i.e. without the 3316 extension)

The default installation directory for VDialer is is the user AppData directory (C:\Users\{your username}\AppData\Roaming\VDialerAdding or %APPDATA%\VdialerAddin) - note that the AppData directory is hidden by default - you have to manually type in the directory in Windows Explorer."

You can install while Outlook is open (although I would recommend closing it first), but the changes won't take effect until Outlook has been restarted. There is no change in the user interface.

May 5, 2010 at 10:55 PM

I have also noticed that since I downloaded the VDialer my Outlook contacts have lost most of the toolbar functions.  Do you know anything about that? For instance there is no longer a tab on the toolbar to send an Email..

May 6, 2010 at 2:24 AM

I assume you mean the Ribbon for the Contact Item, right? Just to verify, are you running Outlook 2007 or 2010?

I have done quite a few installs/uninstalls (both on "clean" systems as well as my dev machine), but I have never seen it do anything other than add the VDialer group - and no-one has reported this as an issue. Also, I am not aware of a separate tab on the Ribbon for sending emails (there is a group "Communicate" on the "Contact" tab that has buttons to sende mails), are you by any chance using other add-ins as well? If there is a conflict, then uninstalling VDialer should rectify the problem. Also, did you customize the Ribbon in any way?

The more information you can give me, the more likely it is that I will be able to reproduce and fix the issue (if there is an issue that is).

Thanks.